• Listen to our site with Browse Aloud Plus. For more information click here.
  • We are a JAM Card friendly business. For more information click here.
  • For the latest information and advice regarding Coronavirus (covid-19). For more information click here.
  • green light for £20 million Adria site development in Strabane. For more information click here.

Universal Credit update

10th March 2019

How to update your Universal Credit with your new rent charges following your annual increase

If you are currently in receipt of Universal Credit it is your responsibility to inform the DFC (Dept. for Communities) of your new rent charge for 2019/2020.

Universal Credit initially will be for new claimants to the benefits system and for people who have a significant change of circumstances.

It is important that you do this on 1st April 2019 to ensure that the new charge is paid from that date. Habinteg cannot tell Universal Credit about the rent increase on your behalf but if you need help accessing your journal or accessing the internet please contact your housing officer.

If you are currently in receipt of Housing Benefit you do not need to do anything. Your benefit will be automatically updated.

If you pay by standing order you need to speak to your bank about increasing your payment.

See our step-by-step guide below on how to update your online journal with your new rent charges.

  • Log in to your Universal Credit account
  • Click on Home
  • From the menu of options, choose Report a change of circumstances
  • Choose the option for Where you live and what it costs
  • You will be asked what has changed - choose Something else
  • You will see a screen with your details and a green Change button. Click on the button and submit your new rent figure (from your rent increase letter) and the date of change (1 April 2019). There will be a separate option for Service Charge.

If you have any questions you can get help by contacting your Housing Officer or Sandra McCoubrey on 02890427211 or 02871360015

You canĀ  also avail of free, independent advice from the Welfare Changes Helpline on 0808 802 0020.

For the most up-to-date information, go to Department for Communities

Universal Credit update
Have a question? Click here to get in touch!