• Habinteg's Hibernia St offices are now permanently closed. For more information click here.
  • Use the accessibility features of the Reachdesk toolbar. For more information click here.
  • We are a JAM Card friendly business. For more information click here.


To help you quickly find the information you need, we have gathered here our Frequently Asked Questions. Please click on the relevant question to view the answer.

  • How do I apply for Housing?

  • Can I apply for housing if I live outside Northern Ireland?

  • Can I swap my home?

  • How often do I pay rent?

  • How much Notice do I have to give to end my tenancy?

  • How can I make rent payments?

  • How can I check my rent account?

  • Can I get Housing Benefit to help with my rent?

  • What If I Am Having Difficulty Paying My Rent?

    If you are experiencing difficulties paying your rent you should contact your Housing Officer straight away.  Your Housing Officer can advise you on how to manage your debt by explaining how you can:

    • make an affordable weekly agreement to clear the rent arrears;
    • change your payment method e.g. set up a direct debit;
    • apply for Housing Benefit or Rate Relief;
    • be referred to the  Housing Rights Service, Tenant Debt Advice Service for specialist help.

    Under no circumstances should you ignore any rent arrears letters as this could ultimately lead to legal action.

    Habinteg has a dedicated team of Housing Officers and if the Officer for your area is not available any of the remaining Housing Officers can provide you with advice and assistance.

  • Can I buy my home?

  • How do I report a repair?

  • Can I keep a pet?

  • How do I make a complaint?

Have a question? Click here to get in touch!